Holistic relationship education that promotes and equips in developing positive life choices, personal well-being, and healthy decision-making.
We promote emotional, physical, spiritual, relational, and mental well-being.
We share resources and information so individuals can feel empowered to make positive decisions.
We believe healthy relationships start with healthy individuals.
Smart Programs endeavors to launch and equip the communities of Puget Sound with empowering, no-cost, high quality educational programs. We advocate for wellness with a strong health and relationship message while supporting and encouraging personal responsibility. We also serve as supportive resources for parents, educators and community leaders.
- Recall existing knowledge and personal experiences related to sexual health risks and identify available resources
- Identify cultural and social influences on teens’ attitudes and behaviors related to sex
- Compare the reasons for choosing to have sex versus choosing to wait
- Compare common STDs (bacterial and viral), list symptoms, and list modes of transmission.
- Explain why abstinence (sexual risk avoidance) is the only guaranteed way to prevent the transmission of STDs
- Describe dangers of untreated STDs including pain, sterility, and damage to organs
- Discuss who is at risk for HIV/AIDS, and explain how to prevent its transmission, characteristics of the disease, and where to access HIV information, testing, and treatment
- Describe basic reproductive facts and terminology (including anatomy) related to fertilization and the early stages of pregnancy.
- Support claim that teenage pregnancy adversely affects social life, relationships, finances, employment, educational goals
- Describe parents’ roles, responsibilities, and challenges as well as how teen parentage impacts a child’s health and well-being
- Summarize adoption services as an option for unplanned pregnancy and the laws pertaining to “Safe Delivery of Newborns”
- Identify birth control methods and explain how they work
- Contrast the advantages and disadvantages of methods of birth control
- Create a plan to avoid the risk of pregnancy
- Identify characteristics of unhealthy and (physically, emotionally, or sexually) abusive relationships and know how to seek help
- Define sexual assault and identify strategies to protect our communities from it
- Explain WA laws related to sexual activity (sexual assault, sexting, consent) and how they apply to teens’ relationships
- Identify and apply strategies for avoiding and leaving risky situations and relationships
- Explain how self-esteem and personal values systems are developed and how they guide sexual behavior
- Describe emotional and relational outcomes (positive or negative) that can result from teen sexual activity or from avoiding sexual risk
- Apply the concept of delayed gratification to the long-term benefits of avoiding sexual risk
- Identify the purpose(s) of dating
- Summarize the individual and societal benefits of marriage
- Discuss how to define dating expectations, set personal boundaries, and respect the boundaries of others
- Apply the benefits of abstinence to all dating relationships, including for those who have previously been sexually active
- Compare and contrast love, infatuation, and sexual desire
- Summarize characteristics of healthy relationships
- Explain the stages of a healthy relationship
- Identify desired qualities in dating and/or marriage partner
- Identifying the impacts and signs of sex trafficking globally and within our community.
- Education on the warning signs of trafficking and teaching preventive measures.
- Equipping resources to protect those at risk.
Providing research-based education that is designed with the purpose of putting students on a path toward optimal health. The curriculum used by Smart Programs is both scientifically and medically accurate, as well as consistent with all current Washington state health and physical education K-12 learning standards. All our presentations include a faith-based option for private/religious schools.
“It gives me power to help stop trafficking and to keep safety a priority.”
– 9th Grade Female
“Emotional & inspiring to help others.”
– Male Participant
“It was very helpful on teaching me how to have a firm foundation.”
– 10th Grade Female
“It was the most knowledgeable thing a young person can learn, very valuable.”
– 12th Grade Male
“It gave me knowledge on how to make better choices.”
– 9th Grader
“I felt that this was a very helpful presentation for my choices in the future.”
– 9th Grade Male